Boost Your ProductivityAugust 3, 2019
Summer is almost over and before you know it, it will be Fall and we will all be scrambling to end the year well. Hopefully, you are starting to think about how to shake the summer fog out of your head right now and start focusing on the end of 2019. I know, it’s hard to think that August is the beginning of the end of 2019 but before you know it, you’ll be looking at December and thinking about 2020. In order to finish 2019 strong, we should prepare for that now and I thought I’d share a few ideas that will hopefully work for the masses. It’s on my mind right now and I wanted to pass it along.
- Wake up earlier. If you’re like me, with the sun being up later in the day, I stay up later in the summer and the result is I get up later as well. Set a goal to go to bed earlier and then get up 30″ to an hour earlier so you can get a better start on your day.
- Plan your day. For me, I spend time looking at my lists of deals and prospects first, next, I make a list every day that has the items I need to do to move each deal along. My list includes personal items as well. Once I have my list, I prioritize it. Next, I brainstorm to see if anything new comes to mind so I can write it down on a back burner list that I keep. Once my list is done, my day is ready to begin.
- Block time. Once you have a list with your important items on it, block out time for those items so you know when those will be worked on. There is nothing more unproductive than making a list and then not doing any of the items on it. Time blocking will ensure that you get the important stuff done.
- Be specific. I work with a coach personally and she constantly tells me that “money likes clarity.” When you put down something on your to-do list, make sure it is specific. Don’t write that you want to make 5 new calls, instead, write down the 5 people that you want to call. Clarity will equal productivity.
- Delegation. Personal confession here, I am not good at delegation. In order to be productive, it is important to delegate a portion of what you do everyday. Find the tasks that take less expertise and start there. If you delegate, you will multiply your productivity.
- Minimize distractions. In order to be productive, it is important to minimize your distractions. Turn off your email alerts. Set your phone down and turn it on vibrate. Close your social media. Schedule time to check email and any social media that you have and limit time on these tasks. By minimizing distractions, you eliminate your temptation to multitask.
- Tip. If you are having trouble getting motivated to increase your productivity, I recommend you look around your work area and spend some time cleaning and organizing. This works to declutter your surroundings and it clears your mind. Once you organize your work space you will likely get a shot in the arm to work on your productivity.
Hopefully, you don’t mind breaking stride from the regular content to a topic that we all care about and I hope that something in this list will help and inspire you in August to move in a more productive direction for the balance of 2019. Here’s to finishing strong and a great summer!